I'm very proud of theses blankets. From start to finish, at the point I made them, this was some of my nicest work. I'm happy they seem to represent a launching point for a new level of complexity in my knitting. These projects started me working with more color (and color work) and finishing work much more professionally.
The first blanket was in Blue Sky Alpaca Cotton. This was the yarn that convinced me quality yarn is worth the extra pennies it costs. I was in the middle of blocking it when I took the above picture. I was so happy that the colors and everything turned out. I owe all the color genius to my LYS owner. She has an eye for color combinations. Also, by some miracle (namely my coworker was going back to India), the blanket was finished in three days total. I didn't do anything other than go to work and knit.
Since the blanket was going to be a mid winter baby in a rather cold region of India, it was knit double stranded, and is mean to be used with a soft light wool companion blanket. The result was pretty heavy (both fabric and overall weight). The mom loved it, and I can't wait to see baby pictures of the little one.
The second blanket I did was crochet in blocks, then whipped together. I didn't use a pattern. Instead, I just started working and played with stitches until I liked it. I took a luxurious two weeks to finish this project.
It is more of a toddler blanket due to the holey nature of the blanket. While I didn't know if the baby was going to be a girl or a boy, I secretly hoped for a girl, and my color choice shows it. (Luckily Britney turned out to be a lovely little girl.)
I indulged in some more Blue Sky Cotton (this time single stranded) since Britney would be six months (and old enough to start loving the blanket) right about summer. I also knew it would wear well when being dragged around her huge house in upstate NY.
With both projects done. I now wish I had someone to make me a Blue Sky Blanket. I think I'll just start collecting some a skein or two at a time. I'm not sure the weight of a full size adult blanket would work well though. One second thought, I have so many lovingly handcrafted blankets that I don't use hardly enough because I'm afraid to ruin or stain them. I should really get them out more. Many hours were spent so I could have wonderful afghans. Does that count as a resolution? Use my handmade gifts more?
Also, I kind of swore off blankets in general after finishing these two in a matter of two weeks. Maybe if I don't have so much to do so quickly. I could like baby blankets again?
But they aren't as cute as hats.
I'll have to think on that one.
No comments:
Post a Comment