Wednesday, December 5, 2007

I did it!!!

Yesterday, I officially finished writing up my first pattern!

I call it the Magic Hat because you can use any yarn and needles and make any size. The only thing you need to know is how to find/read the gauge needed on the label. I also include quite a few option due to the fact that the hat while knit in one piece, has three specific "parts" to it. Depending on your skill set, your can make anything from a simple rolled brim hat (like the one shown), or you can delve into a bit of design and make a color work creation or cabled beanie. It is a bit like a choose your own adventure book from when you were little. Mostly, I am just really happy with the finished product.

Why write it now? Am I just avoiding the knowledge that I will not finish my Christmas gifts in time? No, A few friends from church have been asking if I would make hats for their darling little ones. While I won't turn down a commission, since many of them are good friends, I offered instead to spend some time with them and teach them to make the hats themselves. (I really do think that a basic rolled brim hat is one of the best first/second projects.) So last night six of us got together and started our hat adventure.

One of my other friends who is a great knitter let the small group of us invade her house and we started with casting on, then knitting. A few who had knit before refreshed their mind about purls; all are now working on brims. Their homework is to work on the body of the hat, and we'll meet again to work on the crown. Even better, we may have even gone over the pattern enough, that they could read it on their own to finish their hat if they really wanted to. I was so excited.

It was a great time.

The pattern will be up soon, but as with most second drafts, I did notice a few little changes I wanted to make before I posted. It will hopefully be up soon.

No comments: